Goa police SIT questions ex-CM Digambar Kamat’s son

first_imgPanaji: The Special Investigation Team (SIT) of Goa police probing illegal mining cases interrogated Yogiraj Kamat, son of former Goa chief minister, Digambar Kamat, for nearly two hours on Wednesday.Sources in the SIT said they suspect that Mr. Yogiraj Kamat has parked the ill-gotten wealth of his father through the mining scams in shell companies.The SIT has now summoned Satisdh Lawande, brother–in-law of Mr. Digambar Kamat for interrogation on Thursday.The former CM has got an interim relief on his anticipatory bail application in the probe into the illegal mining. Others questioned in the case include Delhi’s Principal Secretary (Health and Family Welfare) and former Goa Principal Secretary, Mines, Rajiv Yaduvanshi. After several days of questioning, Mr. Yaduvanshi turned approver last week and will now be a witness in the case.last_img read more

Uttar Pradesh government ready for CBI probe into Unnao rape survivor’s accident: DGP

first_imgThe Uttar Pradesh government is ready for a CBI probe into the accident of the Unnao rape victim, who had accused a BJP legislator of rape, if a request is made, Director General of Police O.P. Singh said on July 29.A car in which the woman, her family and lawyer were travelling was hit by an overspeeding truck in Rae Bareli on July 28, killing two members while leaving her and the advocate critically injured, police had said.The woman, who had accused BJP MLA Kuldeep Sengar of rape, was provided with three security guards but they were not accompanying her as there was no place in the car, the DGP said.Prima facie, it appeared to be an accident and an “unbiased” probe is on, Singh said.“The state government is ready to recommend a CBI probe into the Sunday’s mishap in Raebareli if the victim’s mother or any relative makes any request in this regard,” the officer told reporters.Meanwhile, the state government has decided to bear all the expenses of the treatment of the two injured, who are admitted in the KGMU trauma centre, Lucknow District Magistrate Kaushalraj Sharma said.The official said the King George’s Medical University (KGMU) vice chancellor has been requested to forward brief details of the expenses to the district administration and not to charge any cost from the families of injured people.After the news of accident spread, Samajwadi Party supremo Akhilesh Yadav alleged that it could be a conspiracy to kill her and demanded a CBI probe into the incident.“This incident has links with a BJP MLA and there is a BJP government in the state. There is ‘jungle raaj’ in the state. The criminals are roaming fearlessly. Only a CBI probe will solve this mystery,” Mr. Yadav said.The Congress has also demanded a CBI probe into the matter.Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra said the road accident of the woman was “shocking”.“The road accident involving the Unnao rape victim is shocking. Where has the CBI probe in this case reached?” she asked on Twitter. “Why is the accused MLA still in the BJP? Why is there laxity in the security of the victim and the witnesses?”“Can you hope for any justice from the BJP government without an answer to these questions,” the Congress leader added.A delegation of the SP and the Congress will be visiting the hospital here to meet the victim. Akhilesh is also likely to visit the trauma centre later in the day when he reaches Lucknow from New Delhi, party sources said.last_img read more

Cargill Hires Another Diana Shipping Capesize

first_imgzoomIllustration; Source: Pxhere under CC0 Creative Commons license Greek dry bulk owner Diana Shipping has agreed a time charter contract with Geneva-based Cargill International for one of its Capesize vessels.Under the deal, the company’s 174,261 dwt bulker Semirio would be hired at a gross charter rate of USD 16,000 per day.The charter period, scheduled to start on July 1 when the 2007-built Capesize completes its current employment, was agreed from fifteen to eighteen months.Diana Shipping said that the latest deal is expected to generate around USD 7.2 million of gross revenue for the minimum scheduled period of the time charter.Semirio is currently earning USD 20,050 per day under an earlier charter contract with Hong Kong’s Pacific Bulk Cape Co, that stretches from September 2018.last_img read more

After LS fireworks JK resolution cleared

first_imgNew Delhi: Parliament on Tuesday approved a resolution abrogating special status to Jammu and Kashmir under Article 370 of the Constitution and a bill for splitting the state into two Union Territories.The resolution was adopted by Lok Sabha with 351 members voting in its support and 72 against it, while one member abstained. The bill to create two UTs -Jammu and Kashmir, and Ladakh – was passed by 370 votes in favour and 70 against. PM Modi hailed the passage of bills on Jammu and Kashmir in Parliament as a “momentous occasion” in parliamentary democracy and said a new dawn awaits the state which is now free from the “shackles” of vested interest groups. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c detailsThe resolution and the bill were approved by Rajya Sabha on Monday. Replying to the debate on the resolution for abrogating some provisions of Article 370 and the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Bill 2019, Home Minister Amit Shah said that India will continue to claim the territories of Jammu and Kashmir under the occupation of Pakistan and ruled out any talks with separatist amalgam Hurriyat Conference. Shah also said the Modi government will have no hesitation in restoring statehood to Jammu and Kashmir when normalcy returns. Also Read – Tourists to be allowed in J&K from ThursdayDefending the government’s action to put restrictions in Kashmir Valley in the last two days, the home minister said the law and order there has not deteriorated and whatever actions have been taken were all precautionary. The opposition in Lok Sabha on Tuesday accused the government of not consulting “stakeholders” before deciding on abrogating provisions of Article 370 which gives special status to Jammu and Kashmir, a charge rejected by treasury benches which said Parliament represents the will of the people. Bengal Chief Minister on Tuesday said the Centre should have consulted all political parties before deciding to scrap Constitutional provisions that accorded special status to Jammu and Kashmir. Initiating the debate on the motions, Manish Tewari tried to trace the origins of Article 370 and said the then Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir chose to accede with India. T R Baalu (DMK) said the government should have got the resolution and the bill passed as it has a “brute” majority. After the resolution and the bill were adopted, Speaker Om Birla adjourned Lok Sabha sine die.last_img read more

Roma wins Netflix top Oscars but falls short of best picture

first_img Share your voice Now playing: Watch this: Netflix may have finally broken into the last area of Hollywood it has yet to conquer: the Oscars. On Sunday, Netflix won multiple Oscars as the awards ceremony stretched on, with Alfonso Cuarón winning for Roma’s directing and its cinematography, and Roma itself winning for foreign language film. Netflix’s Period. End of Sentence also won in the documentary short category. But Roma fell short of the ultimate prize, a best picture Oscar. Of Netflix’s 15 nominations, other contenders bested the streaming giant in different categories, including Roma’s nominations for leading actress, supporting actress, production design, sound editing, sound mixing and original screenplay, as well as The Ballad of Buster Scruggs’ nominations for costume design, original song and adapted screenplay. Netflix had a second nominee, End Game, in the documentary short category that lost out to its Period. End of Sentence.  Comments Tags Last year, Amazon beat Netflix to become the first streaming service to be nominated for a best picture Oscar, for Manchester by the Sea. Though the bleak film won statues for best actor and best original screenplay, it didn’t cinch the best picture title — leaving that milestone untouched for another streamer. The Oscars haven’t totally overlooked Netflix. Its documentaries have been perennial nominees. The company also won an Oscar for documentary short film in 2017 for The White Helmets, about volunteer rescue workers in bomb-ravaged Syria, and it took home a feature-film documentary Oscar last year for Icarus, about doping among competitive cyclists. And Mudbound, a period drama, racked up four nominations last year. (It won none.)But that pales in comparison to Netflix’s Emmys track record for TV programming. Netflix tied juggernaut HBO for the most Emmy wins last year, and it beat HBO in the number of nominations for the first time. First published on Feb. 24 at 5:47 p.m. PT. Updates on Feb. 24 at 6:58 p.m. PT; 7:30 p.m. PT; 8:09 p.m. PT; and 8:18 p.m. PT; and Feb. 25 at 9:18 a.m. PT: Adds results and statement from Netflix executive.   42 Photos Netflix hauled in Oscars but couldn’t quite land best…center_img 4 Oscars 2019 Netflix 2:06 “Against all the odds, a black-and-white Spanish-language film with previously little-known talent has been embraced by the Academy across three categories including Best Foreign Film and Best Director — as it was by audiences the world over,” Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s head of content, said in a statement. He also congratulated the creators of Period for bringing attention to the “important but underreported issue” of how taboos about menstruation limit opportunities for women and girls. Even without a best picture Oscar, the victories marked a big night for Netflix. Roma, the black-and-white period piece hailed as Cuarón’s masterpiece, was nominated in 10 categories, tying with The Favourite for the most nominations this year, and it won three in high-profile categories. Netflix was relying on Roma, which won the Golden Globe for best foreign language motion picture and a Bafta for best film, to finally earn it Oscar prestige. The wins burnish Netflix’s credibility as a go-to place for top-tier original films. While Netflix is known for television-award darlings like The Crown or Master of None, the streaming service’s films have gotten the cold shoulder from the Oscars in the past. As Netflix hikes prices higher this year to offset its eye-popping spending on content, its rep as a home for prestigious films is key to keeping membership growing and drawing in top talent.  TV and Movies Digital Media 40 films (and a tech company) you didn’t know won Oscarslast_img read more

ATTs 5G E network helps it take crown as fastest US carrier

first_img AT&T makes the first transcontinental call, 100 years ago (pictures) Now playing: Watch this: 5G AT&T Sprint T-Mobile Verizon 8 Originally published April 3, 6:30 a.m. PT.Update, April 5:50 a.m. PT: Adds comment from T-Mobile. AT&T tries tricking customers with 5G E logo Tags AT&T’s wireless network has become the fastest in the nation, according to Speedtest. Roberto Machado Noa/LightRocket via Getty Images) Maybe it really is evolving?AT&T’s wireless network was named the fastest in the US, it announced Wednesday, based on an analysis of speeds over the first quarter of 2019 by Ookla’s Speedtest. It noted that AT&T’s speeds improved by more than 15% during that period, while the other carriers plateaued.AT&T’s speeds jumped from 34.3 megabytes per second (MBPS) to 40.7 MBPS, according to the data it presented. By comparison, T-Mobile hit 35.4 MBPS, Sprint reached 34.9 MBPS and Verizon was at 33.3 MBPS.Keep in mind that different tests have yielded different results. Last month, OpenSignal, another firm that tests wireless speeds, said it found that AT&T’s controversial  5G E (short for 5G Evolution) clocked in slower than services from Verizon and T-Mobile. However, AT&T dismissed Opensignal’s method as flawed.center_img Internet Services Tech Industry 1:58 Comments In its announcement  Wednesday, AT&T highlighted its 5G E service — which is really just fancy branding for its advanced 4G LTE network — as a major factor in its speed growth, saying it laid the foundation for the upgrade to 5G next-generation cellular technology.”We are thrilled Ookla has confirmed that we are the fastest wireless network nationwide,” said Andre Fuetsch, president of AT&T Labs and chief technology officer. “This is further proof that our wireless network strategy and build are benefiting our customers in ways that other carriers cannot match.” Responding to results from Speedtest, Verizon asserted that its wireless network is the fastest and most reliable.”The evidence is overwhelming that the Verizon wireless network is best, fastest and most reliable,” said spokesperson Howie Waterman in an emailed statement. “We focus on deploying the best technologies for our customers, at scale.”T-Mobile made a similar claim, noting that that people use their phones for upload as well as download.”When you look at the overall customer experience, there’s only one fastest LTE network: T-Mobile,” said Neville Ray, its chief technology officer. “We’ve led the industry on LTE speed for five years (20 straight quarters), all without lying to customers or pretending LTE is 5G.”Sprint didn’t responded to a request for comment. Share your voice 15 Photoslast_img read more

Facebook Resets Access to 90 Million Accounts Following Security Breach

first_imgFacebook clarified during a second call with media Friday afternoon that the breach also potentially gave hackers access to third-party apps and websites that use Facebook’s login, including the company’s own Messenger and Instagram apps. Users who find themselves unable to log into third-party apps with their Facebook accounts may have to disconnect those apps from their account, and then reconnect them to regain access.Facebook said that it was working with the FBI and other law enforcement agencies to help investigate the breach.“We also don’t know who’s behind these attacks or where they’re based,” Facebook’s VP of product management Guy Rosen wrote in a blog post. “We’re working hard to better understand these details — and we will update this post when we have more information, or if the facts change. In addition, if we find more affected accounts, we will immediately reset their access tokens.”At the center of the hack was a Facebook feature that allows users to view their own Facebook page the way other users with different access levels — friends, family, or unknown users — would see it. This “view as” feature could apparently be exploited to also steal access tokens to take over third-party accounts.“We’re temporarily turning off the ‘View As’ feature while we conduct a thorough security review,” Rosen wrote Friday. Users who have been affected by the breach will have to log back into their Facebook account, and the company said that it would post a note atop of their newsfeed explaining the situation.Rosen explained during Friday’s call that the company inadvertently introduced three bugs when it updated changes to its video uploader in July of 2017. However, the company didn’t discover that these bugs could be used to hack its system until this week. It informed law enforcement about it on Wednesday, and disabled the vulnerability late Thursday.The company decided to disable access tokens for another 40 million users as a precautionary measure because it found that the profiles of those users were browsed with the “view as” feature enabled. However, this could have also been a legitimate use of the feature. Facebook does not yet know whether the hack was initiated by nation-state actors, but Rosen said Friday that the 50 million users targeted were seemingly a broad slice of Facebook’s users. The company did notify European authorities about the breach, something that it is required to do under Europe’s new privacy laws if European users were affected.“The reality is, we face constant attacks,” Zuckerberg said during Friday’s call. He added that he was happy that this particular breach was uncovered, but that the company had to step up its security efforts going forward. “We need to prevent this from happening in the first place.”Update: 2:42pm: This post was updated with additional information on the data breach.POPULAR ON VARIETY: ×’Sorry For Your Loss’ – TIFF 2018Volume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next Up’It: Chapter Two’ Cast Feeling Pressure For Box Office Success?01:44 twitter facebook reddit Linkhttps://variety.com/2018/digital/news/facebook-security-breach-1202961260/?jwsource=clCopied EmbedCopiedLive00:0006:0106:01More Videos01:44’It: Chapter Two’ Cast Feeling Pressure For Box Office Success?02:15Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney Princesses04:09Hollywood Celebrities Who Died in 201900:49Wyclef Jean on the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award Title01:08Naughty by Nature on Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award Title00:47Bebe Rexha Talked to Sophie Turner About the ‘Game of Thrones’ FinaleClosecenter_img Facebook has reset the access to 90 million user accounts after finding a security breach, forcing the affected users to log back into their accounts, the company announced Friday. The breach allowed hackers to access other people’s accounts, and directly affected 50 million of those accounts.“We patched the issue last night,” Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said on a press call Friday. “We do not yet know whether any private information was accessed.” The company said that it doesn’t yet know whether the breach was used by anyone to access any personal information, including private messages, from those 50 million Facebook users without their knowledge. It did confirm that hackers were able to access profile information, including age, gender, and place of residence, but that they didn’t have access to any credit card information.last_img read more