MILAN – Italian law enforcement has broken up a Chinese organized crime ring that used money from criminal activities to force its way into European trucking companies and control the movement of Chinese-made goods in much of Europe, anti-Mafia prosecutors said Thursday.Top anti-Mafia prosecutor Federico Cafiero de Raho told reporters in Florence that the organization used mafia methods, including intimidation, extortion and violence.He said the ring earned cash from drug trafficking, gambling and prostitution in locations throughout Italy, which they used to take over transportation companies in Italy, France, Spain and Germany.More than 50 people were under investigation, most in the Tuscan city of Prato, a key centre of Chinese business in Italy. Arrest warrants were issued for 33 people, including several already jailed on other charges, two in France and two in China.The criminal components hail mostly from the Chinese provinces of Zhejiang and Fujian, police said in a statement.The prosecutor said that the Chinese-run transport companies laundered money from the criminal businesses, and that they were also a form of illicit competition with legitimate companies operating under the law.
When David Lighty stepped onto campus in 2006, he was part of a high-profile freshman class. Now, as a fifth-year senior, Lighty sees some similarities between his class and this year’s freshmen. “With the class they have coming in and the number they have coming in, it’s pretty much just like my freshman year,” Lighty said. “It’s happening all over again.” Deemed the “Super Six,” this year’s freshman class is drawing comparisons to the class of ‘06. That year, then-freshmen Greg Oden, Mike Conley Jr., Daequan Cook and Lighty helped the Buckeyes to a National Championship appearance. The hype that surrounded Oden and company is again in Columbus. Coach Thad Matta compared Oden, Conley Jr. and Cook to this freshman class, because many of them have played more than 200 games together throughout high school and Amateur Athletic Union basketball. That familiarity showed and will likely help this year’s class in the early going. This class also allows Matta to have more depth than last year’s six- or seven-man rotation. “One of the coaches said to me the other day, ‘It’s exciting that all 10 guys get along on the court,’” Matta said. “And that’s the exciting thing. I think we can have a deeper bench.” In the 2006-07 season, the Buckeyes went nine deep, which proved beneficial in both the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments. There are even more similarities when comparing the individual players of each class. Oden was Indiana’s Mr. Basketball, a McDonald’s All-American and won a state championship his senior year in high school. Freshman Deshaun Thomas earned the same honors playing at Bishop Luers in Fort Wayne, Ind. But Thomas isn’t the most hyped player in his class. That honor goes to fellow All-American Jared Sullinger. Regarded as one of the premiere freshman in the country, Sullinger is arguably the most high-profile freshmen in Columbus since Oden. Thomas might be more comparable to Cook in his ability to create instant offense. Lighty said Thomas is a great shooter and has the ability to take the ball into the post and score. Although it’s not clear if Thomas will work more at forward or guard for the Buckeyes, he has demonstrated his ability to light up the scoreboard. Point guard Aaron Craft was one of Sullinger’s AAU teammates, like Conley Jr. and Oden were. Matta said he likes what he’s seen from the freshman ball handler. “I don’t think we’ve ever had a freshman come to camp more ready to go physically than he was,” Matta said. “One of the things we’ve asked him to do was work on his ability to knock down shots, and he’s shown his ability to do that. We’ve always liked his defense.” With the classes showing many similarities, there are expectations to match. But that doesn’t seem to bother Lighty and his teammates. “I started off with a national championship” appearance, Lighty said. “So hopefully we can end that way.”
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, February 2, 2018 – Nassau – The Cabinet of The Bahamas has approved the launch of the Small Business Development Centre of The Bahamas, Prime Minister, Dr. the Hon. Hubert A. Minnis said Thursday. The launch will take place this year.The initiative, which is one of several initiatives the Minnis Administration will undertake or has undertaken to help stimulate business ownership and Bahamian enterprise, will be spearheaded by the Government, in conjunction with the University of The Bahamas and The Bahamas Chamber of Commerce and Employers’ Confederation with support from the Organization of American States (OAS).“This Centre will provide a resource for all Bahamians to receive advisory and technical support when seeking to open a business or expand their operations,” Prime Minister Minnis said.“The Centre will steer entrepreneurs to available funding opportunities through government or private means. It will also assist business owners in navigating the regulatory and tax registration requirements for a new business,” Prime Minister Minnis added.Addressing the Bahamas Chamber of Commerce and Employers’ Confederation’s Power Breakfast, Prime Minister Minnis told attendees that his government’s agenda is one of reform, modernization, and transformation, animated by a programme for growth, investment and opportunity.“Our emphasis is on a dynamic blend of domestic and foreign investment. We are determined in our vision to enhance economic opportunities for Bahamian businesses and entrepreneurs, including Bahamians in the Diaspora.“I thank the Chamber and the Confederation for partnering with the Government to help boost growth, economic development, employment and opportunity,” Prime Minister Minnis added.The announcement of Cabinet’s approval of the launch of the Small Business Development Centre of The Bahamas, comes on the heels of the Prime Minister’s announcement that the Minnis Administration has committed to investing $25 million over the next five years to help develop micro-small-medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) in The Bahamas.Funding for the project will amount to $5 million per year for the next five years and will be funded through the sale of Government-owned shares in Aliv and the Bahamas Telecommunications Company (BTC).Prime Minister said the “ambitious initiative” – which has several objectives – will help to stimulate the economy while boosting growth and employment and will also provide specific support for entrepreneurship and MSMEs development within marginalized groups, especially poorer communities and youth organizations. This will include organizations that participate in the Over-the-Hill Community Development Partnership Initiative.The Prime Minister also announced that the Government of The Bahamas will, this year, waive the business license fees for new businesses in order to encourage business development and small business enterprise. The Government will also, this year, waive business license fees for businesses with earnings of under $100,000 “to help with economic relief for small businesses.”The Prime Minister’s announcements came during his National Address Monday night (January 29, 2018). The Government also proposes to establish an SME (small and medium-sized enterprises) Tax Help Desk to provide assistance to SMEs on tax matters including the preparation and filing of Value Added Tax (VAT) Returns and invoice formatting, etcetera.“While large businesses have in-house accounting departments and the resources to engage external accounting and legal services, many small and medium-sized enterprises simply do not have the resources to do so,” Prime Minister Minnis said.By: Matt Maura (BIS) Related Items:
Tags Share your voice Post a comment US regulators say there’s no evidence that cellphones harm health and they’re not changing current safety limits. Pau Barrena / AFP/Getty Images Cellphones — old and new — are safe, including those that’ll use new 5G technology. That’s according to a new proposal that Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai circulated Thursday. It would keep the agency’s current safety limits for radio frequency exposure the same as they’ve been for 23 years. Following more than six years of public input and review, the agency said the current exposure levels for cellphones, wireless towers, Wi-Fi routers and all other devices emitting RF signals are safe. Agency officials added that they don’t have any concern for new gear using 5G technology, including gear that uses millimeter wavelength frequencies.The FCC, which sets radio frequency limits in close consultation with the Food and Drug Administration and other health agencies, said that the other agencies were also in agreement on keeping the current limits in place. “The available scientific evidence to date does not support adverse health effects in humans due to exposures at or under the current limits,” Jeffrey Shuren, director of the FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health, wrote to the FCC. “No changes to the current standards are warranted at this time.”The FCC says that current RF safety levels are sufficient. And that 5G poses no risk to health. NurPhoto There have been concerns and questions about the safety of mobile devices for years. In 2011, the World Health Organization said cellphones might cause some brain cancers, leaving open the possibility that a link exists between cancer and cellphone radiation.But most studies haven’t found a link between radio frequency signals from cellphones or cell towers and disease. Concerns have grown recently as mobile carriers throughout the world race to deploy this fifth generation of cellular technology, or 5G. Specifically, there have been concerns that the high-frequency spectrum known as millimeter wavelengths, or mmWave, used in early deployments to make 5G a reality could pose adverse health effects for the public. Adding to the concern is the fact that 5G deployments require many more small cell towers to be deployed much closer to where people live, work and go to school. The growing fear about the health effects has caused lawmakers and policy makers throughout the world to start putting on the brakes. But FCC officials on Thursday reiterated there’s no reason for concern. An FCC official told reporters during a press briefing that there’s “nothing special about 5G.” They added that the scientific evidence to date indicates that 5G is no different from any other cellular technology, including 4G or 3G in terms of causing health effects. They also added that the higher-frequency signals used to deliver 5G also pose no health risk, and that the existing RF exposure guidelines are still applicable to 5G, regardless of the spectrum band used to deliver the service. The officials also emphasized that current RF exposure limits apply to any device emitting a radio frequency signal and are not limited to phones. Also, as part of the proposal, Pai recommends the agency establish a uniform set of guidelines to ensure companies making devices comply with the limits regardless of the technology that’s being used. The FCC has for years been criticized for not updating its cellphone safety standards since 1996. Critics have argued that the levels should be reviewed based on the latest wireless technology. The agency uses a value known as a SAR, or specific absorption rate, to determine if devices can be safely sold in the US. The SAR measures the amount of power that’s absorbed in the body per given mass. While the FCC hasn’t updated its SAR level recommendations since the 1990s, others have reviewed the limits. In March of this year, the engineering group IEEE recommended the safety levels remain about the same as they have been since 1996.The FCC opened a proceeding in 2013 to look into the RF levels. And the order circulated Thursday by Pai is the result of that review. Mobile 0 FCC
Story Links Get to know freshman defender Shay Clevenger.Favorite Sports Team: Baltimore RavensFavorite Athlete: Justin TuckerBest compliment: On some notes to songs, I don’t sound terrible, only badPerfect Pizza: Plain CheeseFavorite singer: Thomas RhettFavorite Movie: Mama MiaBest Subject: PsychWorst Subject: MathFavorite Food: Grilled cheeseFavorite TV show: Grey’s AnatomySuper Power: InvisibilityFavorite Cartoon Character: Patrick the StarMost influential Person in your Life: Mom and DadWhat do you like to do outside of lacrosse: Going to the beachOne thing most people don’t know about me: My real name is SheilaBiggest Celebrity Crush: Patrick DempseyFunniest Player on the Team: Sarah BlalockBest Dancer on the Team: Sarah and Caroline BlalockBest Singer: KirstenPregame Routine: I do not have a pregame routineBest Part of Your Game: Lacrosse IQFavorite Thing About Uofl: How friendly and supportive everyone is, like the community and the other student athletes.Why I Chose UofL: All your coaches want the absolute best for you in the classroom and on the field.Print Friendly Version
If you want to curb that urge to splurge, putting your smartphone away may help, as touchscreen technology is behind people indulging in guilty pleasures when shopping online, researchers say. The findings showed that compared with consumers who had a desktop computer, those with smartphones were more likely to purchase hedonic products – consumed for luxury purposes, these are desirable objects that allow the consumer to feel pleasure, fun, and enjoyment from buying the product. Also Read – Add new books to your shelfFurther, participants using touchscreen technology also scored significantly higher on experiential thinking than those using desktop computers.However, those on desktops scored significantly higher on rational thinking, the researchers said.”Using a touchscreen evokes consumers’ experiential thinking, which resonates with the playful nature of hedonic products. These results may well be a game-changer for sectors like the retail industry,” said Ying Zhu, assistant professor at the University of British Columbia – Okanagan campus. Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsive”But my advice for consumers who want to save a bit of money is to put away the smartphone when you have urge to spend on a guilty pleasure,” Zhu added.For the study, detailed in the Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, the team conducted a series of experiments with university students to measure thinking styles and purchase intentions using devices like touchscreens and desktop computers.The study aimed to investigate whether online purchase intentions change when it comes to two different types of products: hedonic, or those that give the consumer pleasure like chocolate or massages, and utilitarian, products that are practical, like bread or printers.”The playful and fun nature of the touchscreen enhances consumers’ favour of hedonic products, while the logical and functional nature of a desktop endorses the consumers’ preference for utilitarian products,” Zhu explained.”With more than two billion smartphone users, the use of tactile technologies for online shopping alone is set to represent nearly half of all e-commerce by next year.”