Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox – subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you – in real time. argentinabarcelonacourtfraud First Published: September 30, 2019, 10:39 PM IST Madrid: Spain’s National Court on Monday said it had dismissed a complaint against Barcelona’s Lionel Messi filed by a former employee of the Argentine footballer’s foundation, who had accused him of fraud, embezzlement and money laundering.In dismissing the case, the judge wrote that the complaint “was based on an account put together from stories in the press, without bringing even a single element that was personally and directly known” by the plaintiff. The complaint had been filed in June by Federico Rettori, an Argentine national living in Majorca who formerly worked for Messi’s charity.In it, he named the Barcelona striker, the charity, his father Jorge and brother Rodrigo and “all the people, as yet unidentified, who in one form or another administered or managed the funds at the Leo Messi Foundation,” the document said.He claimed that funds received by the foundation which “should have been directed to social causes” instead went “towards various private activities or bank accounts that differed from those that were declared by the foundation”.Last year, Rettori filed suit in Argentina on similar grounds. According to a judicial source, it prompted the opening of a preliminary investigation but so far, neither Messi nor his father have been charged. read more
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) A local sports hero, a New York real estate developer and a well-known architect are teaming up to build a soccer stadium in Haiti’s notorious Cite Soleil, hoping to revive the seaside shantytown known throughout the hemisphere for its extreme poverty and gang battles.Foreign investors in Haiti have largely directed their efforts at rebuilding from a devastating 2010 earthquake, focusing their funds on Port-au-Prince and the overlapping cities that make up the capital and the country’s sleepy coastlines.But ex-Haiti soccer star Robert ”Boby” Duval has masterminded the $5 million stadium project, which he says will address problems that predate the 2010 disaster. Developer Delos LLC and architect Carlos Zapata are working with him on the project in a slum on the outskirts of the capital, full of tin shacks and open sewage canals formerly shunned by investors, avoided by diplomats and at one point considered so dangerous that U.N. peacekeepers would only enter it in armored vehicles.”Cite Soleil was destroyed way before the earthquake,” said Duval. ”This stadium is going to clean up Cite Soleil…. and I’m betting on it.”The 12,000-seat stadium will be called the ”Phoenix Stadium,” referring to hopes that the shantytown will rise up.The organizers also hope the stadium, scheduled to break ground within six months and due to be built by the end of 2013, will bring an initial 500 jobs and inject commerce into Cite Soleil, where politicians have long gone so far as to pay gang leaders to stir up trouble.The arena will also host concerts and serve as a cultural center to foster a sense of community.Duval said it will also serve as the home to a new soccer league for some 350 players, independent of the Haitian Federation of Soccer.For the past 18 years, Duval has run the L’Athletique D’Haiti sports program from a field at the northeastern edge of Cite Soleil, giving some of Haiti’s poorest children life skills through sports. Some 2,000 youths participate in the program, which has been featured along with Duval in Sports Illustrated and ESPN.Duval said the introduction of a second soccer division will raise the quality of Haiti’s national league while providing a future for his budding professionals.”Let me do my own thing so my kids can make some money,” Duval said at his nonprofit sports academy.Federation officials didn’t return calls seeking comment.The current league and smaller clubs play their home games at the only official stadium in Haiti’s capital, the Stade Sylvio Castor in downtown Port-au-Prince. Until last summer, Its parking lot was used as a makeshift settlement for several hundred people displaced by the earthquake until city authorities paid some of them to leave even if they had no place to go. League organizers wanted to reclaim the stadium to resume matches.The bulk of the new stadium’s financing will be provided by Delos, corporations and individual donors. The land, 12 acres in all, was donated by a banker, Duval said.On a recent Thursday morning, dozens of youths sprinted across several adjacent fields in pursuit of a soccer ball at L’Athletique D’Haiti. Just outside the cinderblock wall, a police officer waved cars past a checkpoint, his face masked so that gang leaders wouldn’t recognize him.”I can’t wait for the day that the (stadium) arrives,” 17-year-old student Jean-Gilles Fritznel said as he leaned against a goal post. ”I will have a hard time sleeping the night before, waiting for the sunlight to see it.”The director of a neighborhood youth program welcomed Duval’s project and hopes it will change the culture of violence in the shanty.”Soccer players will be role models,” said 38-year-old Olerch Alexis. ”The youths will want to play soccer instead of pick up guns.”To read the entire story by Trenton Daniel, go to Yahooread more
Phones Apple Share your voice Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? Sep 1 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors See All Mentioned Above Huawei P30 (128GB, black) The Huawei P20 Pro is a low-light photography champ See it Tags 3 CNET may get a commission from retail offers. See how the Huawei P20 Pro’s cameras stacks up to the Galaxy S9 Plus, iPhone X and Pixel 2 2:16 Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it Now playing: Watch this: Huawei P30 Aug 31 • Best places to sell your used electronics in 2019 reading • Huawei P30 Pro might have four rear cameras and launch in March Could this really be the Huawei P30 Pro? If so what do all those cameras do? Spigen Last year, the Huawei P20 Pro and its triple rear cameras stole the show from other photo heavy hitters like the Google Pixel 2 and iPhone X. And while there are rumors that the 2019 iPhone and the upcoming Galaxy S10 Plus will have three rear cameras, it seems Huawei isn’t one to be outdone. A photo of a case for the unreleased Huawei P30 Pro shows the phone with four rear cameras. This could be a case of Huawei literally one-upping Samsung and Apple.As reported by Android Authority, phone case maker Spigen published photos of the Huawei P30 Pro sporting a clear plastic case. The case has a cutout for a camera bump with four rear cameras stacked vertically. Another photo on the site shows the front of the phone sporting a notched display. The notch looks like a half-circle with curved edges.Four rear cameras is terribly exciting but what could they all be used for? For that, we’ll have to wait for the Huawei P30 Pro to be released, which might not be that long. According to TechRadar, the Polish website Telix says that the Huawei P30 and P30 Pro will launch at the end of March at an event in Paris. This is obviously after Mobile World Congress which is at the end of February.Huawei did not immediately respond to a request to comment. $534 47 Photos News • Huawei P30 Pro in a gorgeous orange finish leaks Google Huawei Samsung Apple Review • Huawei P30 review: The P30 Pro’s fantastic photos for less Comments • How To • Huawei P30 phone announcement: How to watch, what to expectread more
Hero MotoCorp seems to be working hard on launching a rival to Honda Motor Co.’s best-selling scooter Activa, as it struggles with slowing demand in the motorcycle segment.To counter the stiff competition from former partner Honda, India’s largest two-wheeler maker is expediting its work on a rival to Activa, Live Mint reported quoting sources close to the matter.The new launch, a 110cc full metal body unisex scooter, is reported to be undergoing rigorous trials, as the company plans to release it for sale by July this year.The features include external fuel filling, telescopic front suspension, tubeless tyres, digi-analogue console, integrated braking system, remote-controlled seat and fuel lid opening, a USB mobile charging unit and a light in the under-seat storage.However, the new scooter did not feature in the models displayed by the company at the 2014 Auto Expo in Delhi due to competitive reasons, according to another source close to the development.”They want to take Honda by surprise,” the source noted. After the release of Acitva’s rival, the company is expected to introduce another scooter Dash, one of three new scooters it showcased at Auto Expo in Delhi. The other two models are Dare and ZIR.”While the new range of motorcycles, including the 250cc sports bike, were originally scheduled to be launched in the first half of 2015, the company wants to hold them back for some time,” said a person familiar with the development.Sales are motorcycles across the country have been slowing due to subdued demand from rural consumers, as their incomes are hit by unseasonal rains.”Going forward, Hero will increase focus on scooters, which has very much become an urban phenomenon. There will be more variants of Pleasure and Maestro,” said one of the sources.While scooters occupied a 58.68% share of Honda’s total sales in 2014-15, Hero’s scooter sales accounted for 12% of its overall sales.read more
Rohingya refugees make their way to a refugee camp after crossing the Bangladesh-Myanmar border in Palong Khali, near Cox`s Bazar.File photo ReutersThe International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) has warned that more than 380,000 children were at a risk of losing their future as the Rohingya crisis in southeast part of Bangladesh would be prolonged.”With an uncertain future and no solutions in sight, the world must not let these children lose their future,” said secretary general, Bangladesh Red Crescent Society M Feroz Salah Uddin.IFRC warned the situation would be more fragile in the coming monsoon and cyclone season or a disease outbreak could trigger a disaster within a disaster, said a press release.To help protect children and their families in the displaced and host communities, the Red Cross Red Crescent is prioritising contingency planning and preparedness to respond to new challenges, and building community resilience to threats including disease, cyclones and the monsoon, along with continued humanitarian assistance for 200,000 people.According to the release, the scale and speed of the displacement and the severe vulnerability of many of those displaced has created one of the most critical and complex humanitarian crises in the Asia Pacific region in decades.
Ilias Kanchan. File PhotoThe Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (CAAB) on Wednesday suspended one of its officials for negligence of duty as film star Ilias Kanchan passed security check with a bag containing his revolver at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka on Tuesday, reports UNB.CAAB chairman air vice marshal M Naim Hassan told UNB that they have been investigating into the incident and on-duty operator Fazlar Rahman was suspended over the issue.However, the former film star and an activist demanding road safety told this correspondent that the breach was “unintentional” and in the first scanning the gun was not detected while he was going to Chattogram from Dhaka.Meanwhile, Mohibul Haque, secretary to ministry of civil aviation and tourism, said that the revolver was spotted by the on-duty security officials during second scanning of Ilias Kanchan’s luggage.They immediately brought it to Kanchan’s notice and he admitted that he was carrying a licensed gun, he added.But the film star denied it saying, “During the second scanning after getting the boarding pass, suddenly I could recall that I had a gun in my bag and immediately I informed it to the security officer.”read more