As Foreclosure And AffordableHousing Crisis Spreads& Leahy Announces $1.2 M.In GrantsTo VermontsNeighborWorks CentersTo Sustain TheirAffordable Housing DevelopmentAnd Ownership Counseling LOCAL CONTACTS:Preston Jump, Central Vermont Community Land Trust, (802) 476-4493 ext204Brenda Torpy, Champlain Housing Trust, (802) 862-6244Merten Bangemann-Johnson, Gilman Housing Trust, (802) 334-1541 ext 202Luddy Biddle, NeighborWorks of Western Vermont, (802) 236-2586Jeff Staudinger, Rockingham Area Community Land Trust, (802) 885-3220ext 220Mia Joiner-Moore, NeighborWorks America, (617) 585-5016 The five Vermont NeighborWorks organizations receiving grants are: WASHINGTON (Thursday, Feb. 7) Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.)announced Thursday that Vermonts five NeighborWorks organizations aregetting $1.2 million in NeighborWorks America grants. According toNeighborWorks America, a federally funded nonprofit housing organization, theirpartnership with the Vermont NeighborWorks organizations will help invest $46million into Vermont communities this year to stimulate economic developmentand bring more affordable housing opportunities to Vermonters. . . .Leahy Helped Create 1st NeighborWorks Organization In Vermont In 1993 Leahy, a senior member ofthe Senate Appropriations Committee and of its Subcommittee on Transportationand Housing and Urban Development, which handles the Senates work inwriting the annual budget bills that fund NeighborWorks America, helpedestablish Vermonts first NeighborWorks organization in 1993 through agrant to Rutland West NHS, currently NeighborWorks of Western Vermont. Leahy said Vermont organizations depend on annual NeighborWorks grants toprovide a wide variety of housing-related services from affordable housingdevelopment to homeownership counseling and the establishment of revolving loanfunds or alternative mortgage solutions for Vermonters struggling to purchasehomes.Despite increased demandfor affordable housing options for low to moderate income Americans, Leahy saidthe Bush Administration has essentially level-funded the NeighborWorks Americaprogram nationwide below $120 million during each of the past threeyears. And despite the nationwide housing foreclosure crisis and housingslump, the President actually seeks to cut $155 million from the program in hisbudget proposal submitted to Congress this week. Earlier this year, inthe budget for the current fiscal year, Congress more than doubled theNeighborWorks America budget to address the national home foreclosurecrisis. That new funding, unrelated to Wednesdays announcement,will be competitively awarded to housing organizations later this year.Over the last 15years, since we established Vermonts first NeighborWorks organization,we have expanded the number of nonprofit housing organizations eligible forthese grants and brought millions of dollars into Vermont to house the mostvulnerable Vermonters and to make homeownership a reality for manyothers, said Leahy, who has led an effort to increase funding forhousing programs within HUD and for the NeighborWorks program. Wecould do much more to stimulate this economy and fend off recession if the BushAdministration focused on the urgent housing needs of Americans instead ofpumping tens of billions of dollars every month overseas for the misguided warin Iraq. I will continue to fight for affordable housing assistance forVermonters, who are struggling all the more as the economy worsens. Asfar as the federal budget is concerned, this is the kind of high priority hereat home that the war in Iraq is not. · Central Vermont Community Land Trust in Barre: $144,725· Champlain Housing Trust in Burlington: $412,296· Gilman Housing Trust of Newport and Lyndonville: $207,428· NeighborWorks of Western Vermont in West Rutland: $265,000· Rockingham Area Community Land Trust in Springfield: $215,000 NeighborWorks was established in 1978 by Congress. According toNeighborWorks America, over the last five years the NeighborWorks network hashelped leverage nearly $15 billion in Americas urban, rural, andsuburban communities; assisted more than 80,000 Americans become homeowners;and developed and managed more than 70,000 units of affordable, high-qualitymultifamily housing. This year, NeighborWorks America will provide morethan $76 million to its network of more than 230 community-based nonprofitorganizations. # # # # #
‘Finally it’s mine:’ Simona Halep won the Italian Open after twice finishing runner-up. Novak Djokovic picked up where he left off before his US Open default two weeks ago, winning a fifth Italian Open title on Monday, days before the start of Roland Garros. The world number one lifted a record 36th Masters crown, one more than great rival Rafael Nadal, after beating Diego Schwartzman 7-5, 6-3 in the final at the Foro Italico in Rome. “Turning to Paris, I couldn’t ask for a better tournament here in Rome. Another big title and I’m super pleased,” said Djokovic. “I don’t think I played my best tennis throughout the entire week, but I think I found my best tennis when I needed it in the decisive moments.” Djokovic extended his record to 31 wins from 32 matches this year, with his only loss the US Open disqualification for accidently hitting a line judge with a ball. Schwartzman had shocked nine-time tournament winner Rafael Nadal in the quarter-finals. But he ran out of steam in a final played under light drizzle, having also spent more than three hours on the court in Sunday’s semi-finals. Despite a great start, with two breaks to lead 3-0, Schwartzman could not keep the momentum going against the 17-time Grand Slam winner, who notched up his fifth win over the Argentinian.Advertisement For Djokovic it was a fifth victory in 10 finals in Rome, but the first since 2015, having finished runner-up three times since including last year to Nadal. “It’s been a good week, even if I haven’t played my best tennis. I’m satisfied,” said Djokovic. Top women’s seed Simona Halep lifted her first trophy in Rome, a confidence booster ahead of the French Open, after defending champion Karolina Pliskova retired injured while trailing 6-0, 2-1 in the final. World number two Halep was competing in her third Rome WTA final, having finished runner-up in 2017 and 2018. Halep said she was approaching Roland Garros “without pressure, smiling,” despite the 2018 winner now being among the favourites. “It’s just another tournament. I’m not going to put pressure on myself,” the Wimbledon champion insisted. “I played really well this year. I have three titles already. I played so much on clay. I feel confident. Loading… Promoted ContentWhat Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?Impressive Caricatures Of Marvel Characters By Xi DingWhat Is A Black Hole And Is It Dangerous For Us All?7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The UniverseThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadePortuguese Street Artist Creates Hyper-Realistic 3D Graffiti6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do7 Things That Actually Ruin Your Phone “I just try to be happy, to take the positives from this tournament, and to go there smiling.”Pliskova’s title defence was hampered due to pain in her left thigh.“It was growing worse and worse with every day,” she said.“This morning I even wondered if I was going to play, but you still want to try,” said the Czech, who “hopes” to recover in time for Roland Garros.Swept aside 6-0 in the first set, she seemed to recover in the second and had just won her first game when she headed for Halep to call time on her match.For Halep it was a third tournament win this year after Dubai in February and Prague last month, to extend her winning streak to 14 consecutive matches.The 28-year-old Romanian did not compete in the US Open because of coronavirus fears, but said she had felt safe in the Italian capital.Read Also: Messi, Suarez bid goodbye to Vidal ahead of Serie A switch“I want to thank everyone because the tournament went well, and in these conditions it’s not easy,” she said.“We felt really safe and really good on and off the courts, even though we stayed often in our hotel rooms. We accepted it, because we like to play tournaments.”FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享
World number one Rory McIlroy has welcomed the “kick in the backside” provided by missing the cut in last week’s Honda Classic as he returns to action in the WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral. Press Association McIlroy had won the Dubai Desert Classic in his previous event but saw his 2015 PGA Tour debut come to an end after two days following rounds of 73 and 74 at PGA National. However, the four-time major winner feels that could be something of a blessing in disguise given the lengthy weather delays which resulted in a Monday finish and the work it highlighted he needed to do on his game. “I could have approached it two ways,” McIlroy told a pre-tournament press conference. “I could have got really down on myself and wondered where that had come from or thought this was the first event after a three-week break and there were things that need to be sharper. “Sometimes you need a little kick in the backside to make you realise what you need to do. I was disappointed but I feel like it has given me clarity on what I needed to do on my game going forward. “It was my mum’s birthday on the Friday night so we went out for a nice dinner and then got back to work on Saturday.” McIlroy admitted he struggled to play his usual controlled draw in the wind last week but appeared to have quickly ironed out the problems after shooting a 63 to win a pro-member event at Seminole Golf Club on Monday. The 25-year-old will play in the Arnold Palmer Invitational in a fortnight’s time before fully turning his attention to trying to complete the career grand slam with victory in the Masters in April, although he will take a “social” trip to play Augusta with his father and some friends next week. “There is always excitement and anticipation and hype surrounding Augusta and I feel it regardless whether I am going in there as favourite or under the radar,” McIlroy said. “It’s the first major of the year and really the start of the golfing season for the general public. “Right now I’m taking it week by week. After Bay Hill I will start to think about it more and every practice session will be looking ahead at the shots I need. “I think the best way to go in is to have confidence but sometimes if you go in with low expectations that can help as well. If things were to go the right way at Augusta I would not care if I had gone in there with two wins or two missed cuts.” McIlroy can at least pick the brains of two-time Masters champion Bubba Watson at Doral after being paired with the world number two and third-ranked Henrik Stenson for the two opening days.
KGLO News · Ask the Mayor — April 29, 2020 — Mason City city administrator Aaron Burnett MASON CITY — Despite having to restrict access to city buildings and altering the format of some meetings, city governments across north-central Iowa continue to operate as smoothly as feasible.Mason City’s city administrator Aaron Burnett says they’ve implemented as many steps toward safety as possible. “We’ve tried to telework as many employees as possible to get them away from the buildings. I think that staying at home, it’s the message that we send out to the public is stay at home if you can, and I think from a city standpoint with employees we take the same approach. The safest place for that employee is to stay at their house and not be exposed to other people, but obviously that doesn’t work for most of the things that cities do. We have been happy that we’ve been able to get almost 15% of the workforce to a telework scenario, and that’s providing the best level of protection for those individuals.”Burnett says other protocols have been put in place for those who aren’t working from home. “The rest of the positions we’ve tried to distance within buildings, provide personal protective equipment to those higher-risk positions. We now have Zoom meetings for almost everything. Even if we’re in the same building, we’ll have a Zoom meeting so we don’t have exposure from individual to individual. There’s also a lot of cleaning efforts, whether they are public spaces or just spaces for employees, we really want to make sure everything is cleaned.”Burnett says when it comes to the city’s response to the pandemic, a lot of the costs will be covered by federal money. “On the cost side for the COVID response, we’re seeing some overtime, we’re seeing some increased purchases. Fortunately a majority of those will be covered by public assistance through FEMA, so that disaster recovery, that public assistance will help cover a lot of the local costs that we incurred in direct response to COVID.”Burnett made his comments on the “Ask the Mayor” program on AM-1300 KGLO earlier today. Listen back to the program via the audio player below.
In the South Peace, Tumbler Ridge is in second place in the up to 5,000 population category right behind Horsefly. In the North Peace, Fort St. John is in third right behind Esquimalt and Williams Lake in the 10,001 to 25,000 population category. There is still time to enter as the deadline is Monday at 11:59 p.m. The Challenge was designed to promote a more active lifestyle within families, with the opportunity to win great individual, as well as community, prizes.- Advertisement – Participants are asked to map their walks, as well as share their personal walking experiences online. The more a person posts, the greater their chances at winning prizes such as a pedometer, family prize packs or the grand prize, one of six family trips to a popular B.C. destination. The grand prizes of cash totaling $100,000 will also be awarded to various communities at the conclusion of the challenge. The top five communities in their population size range, with the most submissions, will each receive $10,000 in support of the development of walking trails. One of the five winning communities will also be randomly drawn to receive an additional $50,000. To share a healthy lifestyle story or to map out a walk, visit the challenge’s official website.Advertisement
After shooting a smoldering 70.6 percent in the first quarter, Drake slipped to just 38.9 percent in the second quarter. The Bulldogs made a pair of three-pointers to help take a 44-30 halftime lead. Hittner and Jonas each scored 11 points in the opening two quarters. Drake shot 57.9 and 56.3 percent from the field in the third and fourth quarter. Senior Lizzy Wendell (Blue Springs, Mo.) filled the stat sheet with 18 points, six rebounds, six assists and four steals in 25 minutes. Sophomore Sammie Bachrodt (Wichita, Kan.) added 10 points, six steals to tie her career-high, four rebounds and four assists. Hittner just missed her second career double-double with nine rebounds to go with four assists and two steals. The Eagles would get as close as nine points in the fourth quarter, but freshman Brenni Rose (Shawnee, Kan.) made a pair of free throws and Hittner a layup to go back up by double figures as Drake pulled away for the win in the first-ever meeting between the teams. Late in the first quarter, senior Cortni Rush (Mason City, Iowa) had a chance at a three-point play but missed the free throw attempt. However, the bucket by Rush put the Bulldogs up 15 points at 25-10. A run by the Eagles cut their deficit to 27-16 at the end of the first. PDF Box Score Story Links Next Game: Drake (7-4) finished at 56.3 percent shooting from the floor and scored 34 points off turnovers by Eastern Washington (5-6). Live Stats 1350 ESPN DES MOINES THE VALLEY ON ESPN3 Listen Live Watch Live HTML Box Score NEW ORLEANS – Freshman Becca Hittner (Urbandale, Iowa) and redshirt sophomore Becca Jonas (Independence, Mo.) set new career marks in scoring with 19 and 24 points, respectively, to help lead the Drake University women’s basketball team past Eastern Washington, 93-78, Thursday, Dec. 22 in the consolation game of the Tulane Classic. Eastern Washington came out of halftime on a 13-2 scoring run to pull within three points at 46-43 and forced a timeout by Drake at the 7:38 mark. The Bulldogs regrouped after the timeout to build a bigger lead as they led 71-61 at the end of the third quarter. Jonas scored nine points in the period while Bachrodt, Hittner and Wendell all had six points each. at Wichita State 12/30/2016 – 7 PM Preview Full Schedule Roster After taking a break for the holidays, Drake will begin Missouri Valley Conference action at Wichita State on Dec. 30. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. and the contest will be shown online via The Valley On ESPN3. Print Friendly Version