As Foreclosure And AffordableHousing Crisis Spreads& Leahy Announces $1.2 M.In GrantsTo VermontsNeighborWorks CentersTo Sustain TheirAffordable Housing DevelopmentAnd Ownership Counseling LOCAL CONTACTS:Preston Jump, Central Vermont Community Land Trust, (802) 476-4493 ext204Brenda Torpy, Champlain Housing Trust, (802) 862-6244Merten Bangemann-Johnson, Gilman Housing Trust, (802) 334-1541 ext 202Luddy Biddle, NeighborWorks of Western Vermont, (802) 236-2586Jeff Staudinger, Rockingham Area Community Land Trust, (802) 885-3220ext 220Mia Joiner-Moore, NeighborWorks America, (617) 585-5016 The five Vermont NeighborWorks organizations receiving grants are: WASHINGTON (Thursday, Feb. 7) Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.)announced Thursday that Vermonts five NeighborWorks organizations aregetting $1.2 million in NeighborWorks America grants. According toNeighborWorks America, a federally funded nonprofit housing organization, theirpartnership with the Vermont NeighborWorks organizations will help invest $46million into Vermont communities this year to stimulate economic developmentand bring more affordable housing opportunities to Vermonters. . . .Leahy Helped Create 1st NeighborWorks Organization In Vermont In 1993 Leahy, a senior member ofthe Senate Appropriations Committee and of its Subcommittee on Transportationand Housing and Urban Development, which handles the Senates work inwriting the annual budget bills that fund NeighborWorks America, helpedestablish Vermonts first NeighborWorks organization in 1993 through agrant to Rutland West NHS, currently NeighborWorks of Western Vermont. Leahy said Vermont organizations depend on annual NeighborWorks grants toprovide a wide variety of housing-related services from affordable housingdevelopment to homeownership counseling and the establishment of revolving loanfunds or alternative mortgage solutions for Vermonters struggling to purchasehomes.Despite increased demandfor affordable housing options for low to moderate income Americans, Leahy saidthe Bush Administration has essentially level-funded the NeighborWorks Americaprogram nationwide below $120 million during each of the past threeyears. And despite the nationwide housing foreclosure crisis and housingslump, the President actually seeks to cut $155 million from the program in hisbudget proposal submitted to Congress this week. Earlier this year, inthe budget for the current fiscal year, Congress more than doubled theNeighborWorks America budget to address the national home foreclosurecrisis. That new funding, unrelated to Wednesdays announcement,will be competitively awarded to housing organizations later this year.Over the last 15years, since we established Vermonts first NeighborWorks organization,we have expanded the number of nonprofit housing organizations eligible forthese grants and brought millions of dollars into Vermont to house the mostvulnerable Vermonters and to make homeownership a reality for manyothers, said Leahy, who has led an effort to increase funding forhousing programs within HUD and for the NeighborWorks program. Wecould do much more to stimulate this economy and fend off recession if the BushAdministration focused on the urgent housing needs of Americans instead ofpumping tens of billions of dollars every month overseas for the misguided warin Iraq. I will continue to fight for affordable housing assistance forVermonters, who are struggling all the more as the economy worsens. Asfar as the federal budget is concerned, this is the kind of high priority hereat home that the war in Iraq is not. · Central Vermont Community Land Trust in Barre: $144,725· Champlain Housing Trust in Burlington: $412,296· Gilman Housing Trust of Newport and Lyndonville: $207,428· NeighborWorks of Western Vermont in West Rutland: $265,000· Rockingham Area Community Land Trust in Springfield: $215,000 NeighborWorks was established in 1978 by Congress. According toNeighborWorks America, over the last five years the NeighborWorks network hashelped leverage nearly $15 billion in Americas urban, rural, andsuburban communities; assisted more than 80,000 Americans become homeowners;and developed and managed more than 70,000 units of affordable, high-qualitymultifamily housing. This year, NeighborWorks America will provide morethan $76 million to its network of more than 230 community-based nonprofitorganizations. # # # # #
Daily Trojan file photoFaculty members of the Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work sent a letter to students of the school on Saturday expressing their disapproval of the disciplinary measures USC has taken against Professor Erick Guerrero following a complaint of sexual harassment. At the time of publication, 68 faculty members had signed the letter.“We simply cannot reconcile the limited sanctions imposed by the University,” the letter read. “This was an egregious exploitation of Professor Guerrero’s power as a trusted faculty member and mentor.”The letter stated that faculty members were never notified that Guerrero had been sanctioned for the harassment allegations, adding that remaining silent “contributes to the serial perpetration of sexual misconduct.” The letter asked for the University to revisit its decision to not terminate Erick Guerrero.“Regardless of the reputational consequences to the offender or institution, transparency is critical,” the letter read. “Privacy is often untenable when there are safety concerns.”Julie Cederbaum, associate professor at the School of Social Work, helped the tenure-line faculty draft the letter. She said that as social workers, it was important for them to stand for justice.“We have a strong ethical obligation to maintain a safe learning environment,” Cederbaum said. “We need to be leaders in standing up when any of those values are tested.”On Thursday, Marilyn Flynn, the dean of the School of Social Work, sent a letter to the school’s community urging faculty to open spaces during class to let students ask questions and address concerns regarding the recent news about Guerrero.“We must always be vigilant,” Flynn wrote. “I will pledge absolutely that anyone who makes a complaint will be protected, and no one will be subject to retaliation. This is the only way to protect the positive culture we have enjoyed.”The letter from Dworak-Peck faculty comes three days after Karissa Fenwick, a doctoral student at the School of Social Work, filed a lawsuit against Guerrero and the University. Photo of Erick Guerrero from USC Dworak-Peck School of Social Work website.The suit stated that Guerrero had sexually harassed her in his New Orleans hotel room in January. It also alleged that the University did not sufficiently discipline Guerrero for his actions.Before filing the lawsuit, Fenwick reported the incident to the USC Office of Equality and Diversity. The OED launched an investigation, which concluded with a letter from the provost’s office suspending Guerrero for a semester without pay starting Fall 2018.USC’s statement to the Daily Trojan stated that Guerrero was barred from teaching and supervising students starting this academic year.Guerrero has denied all of the lawsuit’s allegations and filed a demurrer and answer to the complaint following the lawsuit.“I am here and I am not going anywhere,” Guerrero wrote to the Daily Trojan in a statement on Wednesday. “I would never put myself in a compromising situation that take away all the things I have worked so hard to accomplish.”The University did not respond to multiple requests for comment.EDITOR’S NOTE: Some comments have been removed because they violate the Daily Trojan’s comment policy: https://dailytrojan.com/info/
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Matt Reese of Ohio’s Country Journal has a conversation with John Kellenberger of Kansas’ Ashland Veterinary Center in this video.His area was hit hard by the grassland wildfires that swept across parts of Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas in early March. Now the heart of America is finding themselves looking down the road at what’s next for their part of the country.
Protect your work! Watermarking your video projects can prevent them being shared before final delivery and payment. In this post we show you how to create a quick watermark in Premiere Pro.Watermarking your video editing projects can save you headaches and complication! Whenever someone takes your work and releases it before it’s ready it can cost you money and your reputation. You can also avoid clients dragging out payment. Using a watermark is standard protocol for still photographers but can also be very useful to video pros. Let’s learn why and how to create video watermarks in Adobe Premiere Pro.Why You Should Watermark Your VideoThere are several bad scenarios that can be avoided by applying a simple watermark to your video during the approval process.Scenario one, theft. Let’s say you have a client that has hired you to edit or produce and edit a video. The process starts with agreed milestones and reviews and stage payments. You work through the post-production process and provide a video for review that is a few steps away from the final version. It’s possible that the client can review this rough cut video and decide this is all they need done. However, you intended to do more because it doesn’t come up to your standards and you wouldn’t be happy to release it in its present state.Example of video watermarkThe customer doesn’t have the same standards as you and they can see this as a way to avoid paying or delaying payment because they have all they need for now. Suddenly, paying you has fallen to the bottom of a very big pile of other things to do.The end result? A second rate production is released with your name attached to it and payment because a really stressful and painful process.However, if you had watermarked your production so they wouldn’t be able to release it, then you could make sure they pay the final payment before you release the final version without watermark.Watermarking is also one way to quickly determine approvals vs final versions when reviewing versions of past video editing projects.Watermarking in Premiere ProWhat you actually put on in your video watermark is completely up to you and may be more based on your client or the complexity of the project than anything else. The key is just making sure you have sufficient watermaking to ensure that the client can’t use it until you have removed it!So how do you create a watermark in Premiere Pro? It’s as simple as creating a title!Go to Title > New Title > Default Still or use the shortcut CNTL + T (PC) or CMD + T (Mac). You can also select it from the list that comes up when you click on the ‘New Items’ icon at the bottom of the project panel.Name it ‘Watermark Version …’ and then create a title that says what you need it to say!Next, add that title to a new video layer at the top of your layers. If there isn’t a track free, simply drag the title to the dark grey area at the top and let go and Premiere Pro will create a new layer for you.Creating a New Video TrackNext, trim it out to fit the whole length of your timeline.Trimming the Title Out to the Length of your TimelineLastly, if you chose to create your title with white text, select the title, go to the ‘Effects Controls’ panel, un-twirl ‘Opacity’ and from the ‘Blend Mode’ drop down select a blend mode like ‘Soft Light’. If the effect is still too strong, just turn the opacity value down until it is visible but not too much of a distraction.Blend ModesRender out your sample, rough cut, or preview version and keep the watermark layer in the Premiere Pro project timeline until the client has paid!One last thought: You may want to create a watermark as a small bug on the corner of the frame or along one edge of the video. This is ok for a more subtle effect (and is less distracting), but do realize that it can easily be cut away if the client has any kind of tech know-how!Your work is your livelihood. Ensure that clients pay and protect your reputation by insuring that only a final version of any project can be posted and shared!
NEW YORK — When Derek Jeter puts on New York’s navy pinstripes Sept. 25th for one final home game, it won’t matter to a packed Yankee Stadium that there’s no postseason play on the line.Teammates. Friends. Family. Fans. They will all be there for only one reason: to thank the captain.“I think (Thursday) will be the culmination of all the love he has been shown and all the appreciation he has been shown this year and his career,” Yankees Manager Joe Girardi said. “I think it’ll be something we’ll remember for a long time.”After a season-long farewell tour around the major leagues, the New York Yankees — weather permitting — will play one last home game with No. 2 as their shortstop. If the first seven games of the team’s final homestand of 2014 is any indication, Jeter is in for a sendoff not seen at the Ballpark in the Bronx since perhaps Mickey Mantle retired.Fans have stood with each and every at-bat, taking pictures and videos with their phones and cameras while chanting “Der-ek Je-ter!” and lauding him with sustained ovations. Middle-aged men have held up homemade signs like little kids praising the 14-time All-Star who helped bring five World Series championships to New York following the organization’s 17-year drought. Even former teammates and star players have made the trip to see him one more time.Tickets on the secondary market for home game number 1,391 in Jeter’s 20-season career are going for $248 in the bleachers up to $10K in section 19, right next to the Yankees dugout. Regardless of an ominous forecast of rain well into the evening, the stadium should be packed.“I’m sure it will be pretty emotional,” teammate Brett Gardner said. “It will be pretty special.”The retiring 40-year from Kalamazoo, Michigan, has resisted acknowledging the curtain calls because he didn’t want to disrupt his teammates while the Yankees were clinging to the slim possibility of postseason play. But even for the player who is always so cool under pressure, so focused on the task at hand, he heard the calls.“I’m aware of it. You can’t help but notice,” Jeter said. “I catch myself looking around sometimes and I’ve always tried not to do that, but I’ve caught myself a couple of times, so I’m aware.”And now, after a 9-5 loss to the Baltimore Orioles on Sept. 24th, there’s nothing to play for but the goodbyes.Being eliminated from postseason contention gives Girardi the luxury of orchestrating Jeter’s exit much the way he planned a special moment for Mariano Rivera’s departure last season.In the closer’s final home game, Girardi, a former teammate of both stars, sent Jeter and Andy Pettitte to the mound to make the pitching change. Rivera cried on Pettitte’s shoulder and Jeter told him “It’s time to go.”“The idea for Mo came to me a half-inning before I did it,” Girardi said. “So I’ll probably do this the same way.”The Yankees still have three more games to play, in Boston, and whether Jeter dons New York’s road grays will be up to him. Girardi said he hopes to get a few minutes before the game Sept. 25 to ask the last player to wear a single-digit number for the club what he would like to do.“You’ve got to respect the fact that we just lost,” Jeter said when asked of his plans. “I can’t tell you about Boston.”His teammates expect him to play. It’s Jeter’s way, many of them insisted, and perhaps it will be a little easier for him after all the hoopla of the final home game. Whether he’d prefer to admit it or not, the finality of it all has been weighing on him.“I tried to put it out of my mind but it’s getting more and more difficult to do that,” Jeter said.(HOWIE RUMBERG, AP Sports Writer)TweetPinShare0 Shares
Australian spinner Adam Zampa was on Friday reprimanded by the ICC for using “audible obscenities” during the World Cup game against the West Indies at Trent Bridge.”Australian bowler Adam Zampa has been reprimanded for breaching Level 1 of the ICC Code of Conduct during the World Cup match between Australia and West Indies,” said the ICC in a release.Zampa was found to have breached Article 2.3 of the ICC Code of Conduct for players and player support personnel, which relates to using audible obscenities in an international match.In addition to the formal warning, one demerit point has been added to Zampa’s disciplinary record.The incident occurred at the end of the 29th over of the West Indies innings when Zampa was heard using an obscenity by the umpires.Zampa admitted the offence and accepted the sanction proposed by match referee Jeff Crowe and there was no need for a formal hearing.On-field umpires Marais Erasmus and Chris Gaffaney, third umpire Ruchira Palliyaguruge and fourth official S Ravi levelled the charges.Also Read | World Cup 2019: Starc elated after ‘fantastic’ performance vs West IndiesAlso Read | World Cup 2019: Michael Holding slams ‘atrocious’ umpiring after West Indies lose to AustraliaAlso See